Today’s installation day! This is the first project that I’ve done that is installed outside. I found the only place in Omaha that does the insulated thermal pane in-house and they did the job in 4 days. Chris Kemp from the Hot Shops did the iron work frame and also helped install. It all went off without a hitch! I was happy to find out that the business used my design for their logo. It’s on their business cards and all their ads.
Today I met with a client who wants 3 stained glass windows for her home. The windows have leaded glass in them already, but she wants them replaced. They have built an addition to their home and now the windows look directly into their roof. These will be functional and decorative. The direction I was given was not to design them too contemporary, not too many colors (she likes green), and not too busy. I have no idea what to do, but I’ve taken pictures of the space and will think about it. I ended up taking the windows with the stained glass back to my studio with me so I could take the stained glass out and get the frames prepped for painting. There was a second set of exterior windows, so that worked out great. It’s nice to have the windows so that I can get precise measurements for the arch.
I thought it would be cool to show the drawing to scale of the windows that were approved and then the final window along side of it. I find it such a challenge to show clients a little sketch that comes at all close to the final window. The lead lines are always very close, but the color and richness of the glass is hard to get on paper. For this project, I ended up using architectural dichroic for the lettering which is why the words are blue instead of green. The letters look gold when there is no light transmitting through the glass. Dichroic has magical qualities!
This is the first student in my studio at the Hot Shops. She designed this window on her own and I think it turned out great! For the colored glass, she used scraps of glass I had that was taken out of Westside Community Church and donated to the Hot Shops. I taught her the leading technique and it took her about 8 2-hour classes to complete the window.
I ended up foiling the majority of this window instead of leading it because we had it sealed for exterior installation. If I had several weeks after finishing the windows to let the cement dry, I would have leaded them. Since the cement used to fill in the spaces of the lead is so wet, it would have taken all the moisture from the sealant. Bummer, but I think they still look great!